Saturday, May 8, 2010

Bon Appetit!

"Is there anything better than butter? Think it over, any time you taste something that's delicious beyond imagining and you say 'what's in this?' the answer is always going to be butter. The day there is a meteorite rushing toward Earth and we have thirty days to live, I am going to spend it eating butter. Here is my final word on the subject, you can never have too much butter." Julie Powell.


We love creating cakes to your specific requests, but when we get to play and make cakes EXACTLY the way we want...it is even more fun :) This year's theme for the Edmonton Public Library's Books2Eat event was Books to Movies. It was a tricky choice between Julie and Julia and the Shopaholic series. In the end, we had decided that we have created waaaay too many purses, stilettos, Tiffany boxes etc that we wanted a change. So, Julie and Julia came to fruition.
I had never seen the movie so I needed to do some research. Both our other designers, Aislinn and Heater had seen and loved the movie so they were already dreaming up some ideas. Honestly, it took me 3 tries to watch the movie, but when I finally watched it, I thought it was quite cute.

Here are some great shots of our AWARD WINNING cake...it was the People's Choice! Let me brag just a teeny bit here...the girls did me proud. They worked on this cake only a few hours at a time making little things here and there during a super busy work week and only put it all together and detailed the cake hours before it was to be delivered...and it looked AMAZING! I'm seriously so lucky to work with fun and talented gals. Not to mention that who ever bid on that cake and got to take it home will have a super YUMMO cake baked by our baker, Albert!

Aislinn and Heather putting their wonderfully hand crafted cakes and fondant pieces together...
The details: 3 books, mushrooms, asparagus, poached egg, egg shells, Julia's pearls and of course bricks of BUTTER...




AND THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE GOES TO...

YAY TEAM WHIMSICAL!


4 comments:

  1. Congratulations! This IS an AMAZING cake! Such creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job. I am a friend of Heather's Mom and Nancy is a proud mother!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OHHH my god you should read Julie Powell's Blog it's awesome! What are the chances :oP Your work is awesome, I can see why it was voted PC!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what an awesome job! I am truly impressed!

    ReplyDelete